Wednesday, July 24, 2019

Tomy "Chocovader" Space Figures: Spring Type Alien + Spaceman, Made In Japan Gashaphon Toys




Left: "Spring" Type Alien
Right: Spaceman

All Made In Japan Space Toys are cool just by their very nature. HAD to have these guys the instant I saw em -- 2001 production date on the instruction sheet so these are no longer being made. Manufactured by Tomy, I am fairly certain they were distributed via coin-operated Gashaphon vending machines. Semi-posable due to being assembled via peg/hole connections and cast in a very soft vinyl type plastic; Spaceman also has painted features. These two described as being "Second Season" (spaceman) and "Third Season" (alien) figures, which at first I thought referred to a television show, but now believe refers to the ranges of toys offered in "seasonal" increments. 


Both marked "c. BU / GRI".


Each comes with an interestingly designed pamphlet with assembly instructions, pix of the other figures from the "season" and other details which my rusty Japanese is unable to decipher ... I know how to order a drink and say "Good Morning" the next day. That's about it


Works just as well totally reversed. Some thinking went into these designs! and if I might say both are very Japanese-looking. Has to do with the fluidity of the curves, attention to surface detailing, and emphasis on having them function as intended.


They do.



Four pieces. This one arrived with a base in observance of it being top-heavy.




The other figures from this "season" ... Would enjoy knowing exactly what that means.


I like A27. All space girls welcome as well <3


"Chocovader.com" appears to be a dead link, and no wonder with that 2001 date. Will see what searching the company name digs up.


Very cool, obtained this one first. He reminded me of the little killer spaceman/robots from the "Twilight Zone" episode "The Invaders".



Four pieces. Who ever designed it is a genius.


I guess that's his flying saucer at right.




Derrp ... will get a hirez scanner-scan first chance, cos I like the girl  ;] And there's his mother ship.


A11 isn't something you see every day either, and I like that U5 flying saucer/



With my favorite Apollo era Marx Toys astronaut. He survived Creek Float! Carry him around with me sometimes, as with his scoop already broken off I'm less anxious about mishap befalling his condition. Just happened to have him on the desk & it struck me they are about in the same scale.


Saluting US astronaut Captain John Young. The Astronaut's Astronaut. And I like that orange glow.


That moment when you realize you've got something arty -- With LP Toys derived cake topper rocket + gantry, and Golden Astronaut range T-T "Terrain Tiger" vehicle.


And with Dutch Angle: Now he's an Alien astronaut candidate, saluting Captain Young before his ride to the gantry on the TT for a test flight. Four orbits, no big deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment