Saturday, July 6, 2019

Imperial Toy Corp. "Apollo Moon Exploring" #304D: Which One To Open???




UPDATE: Have been waddling around referring to this set as AME #304B, when it is in fact AME #304D, and yeah it makes all the difference in the world. Click here for a visit to the reference page for the full "Apollo Moon Exploring" series at the venerable Triang Spacex / Golden Astronaut website assembled by researcher Paul Vreede. It is utterly addictive material.

Or,

SO ... In a happy bit of "WTF do I do??" I scored two AME #304D units last month when acquiring a nice heap of them as a "Lot" buy and am attempting to decide which one should be opened and utilized as elements for diorama photography -- The stated reason why I started collecting this stuff in the first place, and am ready to get busy for real. Feel welcome to comment below or message using the form at right.

In case you skipped the video, the story is that example A has the more compromised packaging material of the two, while example B has a vehicle (adapted from Mattel's "Major Matt Mason" Laser Cannon Sled) which is smeared with now turned brown adhesive from what must have been a very long day at the LP Toys plant there in Hong Kong where the components were manufactured. All ITC  appears to have done was scarf the packaging design from Multiple Toymakers' "Golden Astronaut" sets and put their name on the package. Lending to speculation that the entire Apollo Moon Exploring line was LP Toys pulling a fast one on the companies which contracted them to make the Golden Astronaut figures & ITC willing pigeons.



The delaminated corner of example A, and its blister package also is just about ready to give along the bottom.


Example B's brown encrusted MMM LC sled.


Example A's nice clean sled, and my gut instinct is to open A so that having a loose gooped up sled I am wary to try and clean for fear of it falling to pieces won't drive me crazy. The sealed unit stays on my Ogle Wall anyway and I am usually not staring at it. But when I do, I can have fun wondering "What's still-sealed a Major Matt Mason ripoff Error Car worth?"


Another look at the sealed units as individuals to not cloud judgement.


Any opinions welcome!


Slightly different Golden Astronaut poses & finishings, and I do think I like this guy better with his US flag remnant. Will have to look at my other GAs to see which pose I may have more of.


...


ISN'T THIS EXCITING!!! and as I love to make note of, both backing cards appear to have been used as a sponge. Fist pump!

And UPDATE: It will be example A which gets to appear in my diorama based artworks, once I decide how to open the poor thing without totally destroying the package. Film at eleven.


No comments:

Post a Comment