Saturday, July 27, 2019

Marx Toys Six Inch Apollo Astronaut, In Blue! and the 3d "Gemini Astronauts on the Moon" Postcard




Had that *exact* same postcard as a kid! mailed to me by Grandma Wilson for my 5th birthday in 1972 (?). She was a chemistry professor, they were local to Houston Flight Center, went regularly, plus Cape Kennedy when visiting Aunt Margaret in Florida, and approved of my interest in NASA manned spaceflight. Sent me all sorts of incredible stuff including a massive photo set of Apollo Program publicity shots, will dig the survivors out. And while I had the full set of six 6" Marx Apollo Astronauts none were in blue! Two more to go and my current set is complete, with this a second example of Sample Bag Guy. Stoked to have one in blue!! the handling patina, dust + hand-written tag add priceless provenance. Am very grateful to the person who offered them up for grabs -- Both will live on via my art, never to be parted with, while photographed, sketched or ogled endlessly.

No comments:

Post a Comment