Sunday, June 30, 2019

Childhood Toy Found: Plastic Half Ton Army Truck, 1970s (?), Maker Unknown


Hot Damn: Finally found my younger brother's sweet processed plastic half-ton truck, missing since 2014 or so when I saved it from being pitched by parental units who just don't get it. Squirreled it away someplace beyond their ability to be annoyed by and I have literally thought about it daily over the past year, wondering WTF I actually did with the poor thing. Unearthed it yesterday while helping clean out part of the basement and even my dad laughed upon recognizing what it was. SCORE!!


Phil would have obtained it in 1975 or thereabouts (born in 1968), almost surely purchased at the legendary Kid's Town on Erie Blvd. in Syracuse NY in a bagged set with some Army Men and a howitzer. Back covering still AWOL, likely gone and from what I can tell a 3rd axle mount is still missing its wheels. Overall length is about 8 inches & likely a standardized size and therefore finding a replacement back cover is not outside the realm of possibility.

No makers marks visible so my call is MPC / Multiple Products, possibly Timmee, made in Hong Kong somewheres between 1970 and 1974. He certainly had it by 1976 as it figured into so much play activity for so many years.


Surviving axles bent by endless play use through the 1970s. The thing went literally everywhere with us including cross-country family trips where we the three brothers were allowed to bring a shoebox full of toys each. And I'll say this much: Phil took care of this thing and even after his interest in such mementos had faded it sat on the shelf in our father's home office den for many years until being thoughtlessly placed in a recycle bin while ridding their home of "clutter" ;[  Thank God I was home that day, realized what was about to happen and acted immediately. Now reclaimed, given a light cleaning and now part of the collection of larger vintage plastic vehicles for my diorama projects.



Outstanding!! If anyone can provide additional information via comment or message I will be stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment