Thursday, May 25, 2023

Breaking a Vintage LP Toys 50mm Plastic Astronaut Figure, and Other Such Fun

 

Ugh.


You know, of all the confounded luck. Space Karma biting back for making fun of the Rescue 411 guys maybe. Have had this problem before with the figures. Pressed in a soft chalky plastic that will go brittle if left to sunlight + air, which this one's yellowed hue suggests may have been its fate.


Could have been repaired, but I have four or five more and sensed an opportunity ...


Lost in the Space Swamp, a recurring motif in these works.

Additional cheering news is that I get to paint him now - I only mess with the ones which are broken, playworn, or inexpensive copies I have multiples of. And I have some other blank white plastic LP 1/36 Pistol & Lunch Box guys, my name for the pose. If interested the Triang Spacex Golden Astronaut website has a handy guide to the LP astronauts which you can visit by clicking all that linked text. and below is the setup I was preparing for when the mishap took place.


Click here to open video in a new window for fullscreen viewing options.

For more information on LP Toys' myriad of space plastics be sure to visit this page here at the Triang Spacex Toys website, with links to pages for both the human and alien figures. They have been of unique inspiration! as much as the Marx or Lido forms. There is something about how they and the other varieties I've featured get at the meat of what I was after with my own space character imagery. 


Point was to try and match the scale of the smaller astronaut to the aliens relative to the matched scales of the figures at top. More soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment