Sunday, November 10, 2019

Marx Toys "Tom Corbett: Space Cadet", "Space Patrol" and "Rex Mars Space Port" 45mm Figures, Some With Helmets!



Been busy with the pre-holidays art show scene but can now confirm that I have been bitten for good by the Marx "Rex Mars" bug. Beefed up my stocks a bit and due for an update.


Current stash, with three of the original helmets. Figures are a mixed bag of vinyl and soft plastic castings, some from the "Space Port" or "Planet Patrol" playsets. Plus a grand total of two licensed "Tom Corbett" figures and one "Space Patrol" gal.



Heh ... been watching Department of Energy produced nuclear weapons testing films from the 1950s to immerse myself in the military-industrial complex of the era in which these forms were produced. The jingoistic doublethink on display is remarkable, and I got out one of my "End of the World" paintings from 2018 to cover a blank spot on the Ogle Shelf wall. 


"Homage to Castle Bravo, 1954"


My three helmeted figures. Female is an original playset vinyl cast, the two on their way to Sick Bay a soft plastic believed to have been a breakfast cereal or candy wrapper premium.


The lovely Carol Carlisle from "Space Patrol" cast in a gray vinyl which may have been a Rex Mars piece rather than "Space Patrol". Hitting on her is another breakfast cereal casting in transparent blue of the pistol packing alien common to all three figure lines sets, whom I have taken to referring to as the crazed intergalactic space villain known only as "The Ambassador". Every good Space Opera needs a villain.


Holding our heroes at bay.


Six minutes of oxygen left ...


"Only you can save him, my dear, and only by agreeing to my evil terms ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment