Friday, May 31, 2019

Making Diorama Terrain with Cement Scraps & Golden's Clear Tar Gel


The specific source of inspiration: The gorgeous terrain forms on the Marx "Lunar Exploration" diorama playset.


My chosen material: Fallen concrete scraps from the ceiling of the late 40s bomb shelter attached to our house in Syracuse


My chosen slabs, first sealed on their flat sides with Clear Tar Gel.


First gently washed then doused with Golden Artist Colors' Clear Tar Gel, my favorite of their acrylic mediums. The larger slab instantly appealed to me for the rust staining from a support girder.


Clear Tar Gel is very viscous, almost fluid, and hardens without leaving brush strokes as a super glossy smooth surface. Like melted glass, and I like using it to simulate a ceramic glaze effect.



Drying on a garbage can lid with an unfinished 3d wood painting from 2018.


Studying coral and rock forms used to make a retaining wall in the back yard.


Coral.


Granite.



Now observing the Marx nacu-sculpted forms. Each is plastic, more or less hollow and I am pretty sure then hand tinted or stained after being formed.










My results, dime added for scale.






And in application. Figures & rocket made in Hong Kong, likely mid to late 70s.



Sergio Leone Angle.

No comments:

Post a Comment